Window Dilemma

A Problem Solved


For a long time now I have been struggling to find a suitable solution for the  windows of my Regency home. As the window frames have no recess any glass or acrylic covering has to sit on top of the frame itself. I did use real picture frame glass (that I cut really badly) to fit in between each pane on a previous project. However I wasn't really happy with the finished look. 






I'm not a big fan of using acrylic as it scratches easily and often has a cloudy appearance and picture glass is really far too thick for me to get neat little rectangles for the panes, so I started to research on the Internet. I was initially looking to buy thin glass, when I thought about using microscope slides. A few minutes later and I had ordered two boxes of slides for less than £2.00 a box.







As you can see above the slides are really thin. They were almost perfect, I thought with a bit of work I could cut them to fit inside the window panes. However they were about a millimeter too wide, I tried to sand the sides down, first with sandpaper and then with my dremel, but it wasn't working, and  I wasn't happy with all glass particles flying around.

Then I tried another tactic, I placed three of the slides next to each other and they were a perfect size to cover two panes and all I had to do was cut a small piece from the length. Feeling pleased with myself I set about cutting off 1cm from the length with a small glass cutting tool. About ten slides in and I hadn't managed to cut one straight line. Not one to give up I was back on the Internet looking at the correct way to cut glass. I watched a few Youtube videos and got back to the job in hand. I had better luck this time, and while they are not all perfectly straight, they were successful enough.




If you look closely enough you can see the outline of the microscopes slides on the top windows (this is the inside of my Regency library front panel). 



It has been almost a year since I completed my library, so it is long overdue for me to finally add the front panel with the curtains I made. 



I am slowly adding items to my kitchen and once I have made enough progress, I will post some photos for you to see.

I have several weeks off work for the summer (I work in a school) so I'm hoping to get a lot of miniature work done. I am starting work on my Regency bedroom and I should have all the main painting and decorating done quite quickly.


Until the next time

Take care

Jayne x 






Comments

Popular Posts