Making a Start





Regency Gentleman's Bedroom


One of the problems I come across many times, is when I want to start a project and I don't have all the necessary items to hand, or I'm too impatient to wait for them to be delivered. This was the case when I was looking for a fireplace for my gentleman's bedroom. Everything I looked for online was either not quite right or too costly. I was going to settle on a cheap one from ebay, when I woke-up and inspiration struck me and I created the fireplace you see below from various scrap pieces of wood. I added some metal filigrees for decoration and then painted it.









I made a chimney breast and a brick back insert using some corrugated card as it was easy to bend to shape. I remembered that I still had some brick slips I'd bought several years ago and I just had enough to tile the insert. I really like using brick slips wherever I can as they give any mini project a realistic look.

























Another Mini Make


Many (many) months ago I made a map box to go into my Regency library. I was really pleased with it however everything I tried to hinge it, failed miserably. Firstly I had a couple of different hinges that were too small, so I tried to use some stiff material but that didn't look great and the lid didn't fit well. 
Have I told you that I have great perseverance and I don't like things to get the better of me. So when an idea failed, the map box would be put away again, until I thought of another idea. Well, I was having a tidy-up in my craft room (corner of my bedroom) when I found some larger hinges with tiny screws. I usually use superglue to attach my hinges, but I thought I would give these a go, and voila my map box was complete. So it now resides proudly in place in my library instead of inside the box of unfinished minis.

















Until the next time

Take care

Jayne x

Comments

Popular Posts