Saturday, 16 May 2015

Adding detail

I thought I would show you the latest additions to my Regency parlor. I have now completed the floor. In the past I have used some iron-on wood flooring   
from a well known dolls house supplier to great success. But money was a bit tight this month and I was trying to think of a cheaper method to use, but one that would still give me a good quality looking floor, when I came across the idea of using iron-on wood veneer that is used for RL furniture.

I did a search on Ebay and found lots of wood veneer at a fraction of the price. The only difference was that it was approx 22mm compared to the 11mm dolls house size. I actually liked the wider floorboards, I felt that they were more in keeping of the era. I paid less than £4.00 for 5 meters. However I did need to buy another 5 meters as I was just a few lengths short, but that didn't really bother me as there was no P&P to pay. I was impressed with
the quality of the veneer, the price and the range of wood colours.

This is definitely a product I will use again, as it was so easy to apply and I just used a bit of bees wax to buff-up the shine.

I have now added the cornice, dado rail and skirting boards, along with the false doors to the room beyond.

The hearth is just a piece of mount-board that I painted black and I trimmed it with a bamboo kebab skewer that I painted with gold paint. I'm really pleased with how smart it looks.

I have a few more finishing touches to add before I start to furnish the room, so I will post some more pictures soon. I have bought some Mini Mundus Kits to go into the room and I have to assemble and stain them in the next couple of weeks. This will be the first time I have attempted one of these kits and I want them to be perfect so I will be taking my time on them.

Until the next time

Take care

Jayne x

Sunday, 3 May 2015

Technology is great

I treated myself to a new mobile phone this weekend and to say I was behind the times is an understatement.
I have been using an old mobile I've had for years. I kept telling myself that I only needed a mobile to text or speak to friends and family when I'm out and about. I have now seen the light. My new Smartphone has so many apps and gadgets it's fantastic. I've only had it for a day and I can't believe how I've waited so long to buy one. 

One of the great features is the camera. I was so excited with the excellent quality photos that I wanted to show you what I have been doing over the past few weeks. 

Regency Parlor- Early Stage


This is one of the Town House room-by room box kit from Bromley Crafts

The room boxes come in 3 different heights and have 6 different facades, and it allows you to stack each room box on top of each other, or side by side. I really like the idea of working on one room at a time, rather than having a huge house to decorate all at once.

I am planning on completing 1 to 2 rooms per year while finishing off existing  projects in between.

I created a very basic chimney breast from some wood strips and photograph mount board.

Close-up of a Sue Cook Regency fireplace.

I made the back grate from thick card. The bricks are just painted sandpaper and I printed the delft tiles from the Internet.

I wanted to create the illusion of another room
 (possibly the dinning room)
so I painted a double false door. I used some strips of wood at the sides of the doors and I glued and painted different metal filigrees to add more of an interest. The overmantle is also by Sue Cook and it is from her new range.

This will go on the right-hand side of the room.

My little bundles of Joy  

This is Fluffy, the baby of the family. My legs are somewhere underneath the blanket. Please excuse the clothes airer in the background. 

This gorgeous girl is Mitzy 
(now you know where I got the name for my blog from).

I actually wanted to call her Miss Mitzy but when I had to register her at the Vets I was too shy to tell the receptionist, so she became just Mitzy.

Until the next time

Take care

Jayne c