Updates on my French House
I've finished decorating the Bathroom. I used some scrap booking paper for the walls and some old wooden plant markers for the floorboards. I just cut off the pointed ends and they were perfect.
I used chalk paint for the sink and wall cupboard. The wall cupboard was actually another sink unit, but I didn't really like it, so I removed the sink and used some scrap wood to cover the gap. I also flipped it around so the base became the top. I really like how the shape of the base has made the cupboard look really decorative.
I made the 'copper' bath tub using cardboard to get the shape. I used flexible wire with a plastic coating around it to make the round shape on the outer rim of the bath tub. I then painted it in burnt sienna and then did a few tops coats of copper enamel paint. I'm not sure about it yet, it looks OK to me in the photos, but when I see it in the flesh I think it's too amateurish . I want to install a shower and some shower curtains so maybe it'll be alright. Oh and I have yet to find a toilet I like, so I'm on the lookout for a suitable one.
I made a cupboard. This was mainly to cover up some very bad wallpapering and gaps in the corner. However I really liked the effect. The cupboard took me longer than it should because I had a lot of timber strips that were only 1 inch wide so I had to glue two strips together to make the frame. I also added some cornice to the top for a decorative edge. I was quite pleased with my handiwork, all I have to do now is to arrange some items in it.
I also made the fire surround. I used an old picture frame and added a mantle from some scrap wood. I had some individual brick slips so I glued them on to a piece of plywood and used some black paint to make it look like soot.
The mirror is a little off center, that bothers me. I will moved it as soon as I can.
I glued and painted some lace on to thin strips of wood, it really gives a good effect. I think it makes the room look pretty and girly. It is after all a French single ladies house, so she is entitled to decorate it anyway she likes.
I need to find just the right fabric for the bed linen and I must create a fancy fabric canopy to cover up the wrinkles in the wallpaper. Oh and to make the room look extra pretty.
I made the sink using the directions from Lea Frisoni's big book of dollhouse miniatures. To create the stone effect I used some realistic brick compound from Bromley Craft Products. As I used the red brick coloured compound I just painted over it with a cream emulsion. I mainly use tester pots of paint, as they are so economical to buy and they last ages.
The splash back was just some painted wood, I added two brass taps and a small gold coloured oblong tray (Tee Pee Crafts). The soap is a real piece of Coal Tar soap (I love the smell of this soap) and I used a bit of linen for the dishcloth. I also bent a piece of brass tubing and added an eyelet to the wall to give the impression that the sink is plumbed in.
It's a bit of a tight squeeze in the kitchen, I moved the side wall to create more space in the living room.
The canisters were made from capacitors that you find inside a PC. I found the idea from someones blog, I had an old PC so I took it apart and there were lots of them inside. They are covered in plastic which you have to cut off, but they come in lots of different sizes. I just covered mine in paper I printed from Pinterest and added buttons to the top.
These are the items I got from the Autumn Miniatura. They are from Art of Mini. I just need to decide what to put in them.
The Living Room
If you look close enough you will see real chocolate mice inside. Well, maybe its chocolate Fimo, but one can hope.
This pretty armoire is actually a Hello Kitty product. I found it for £1 in a charity shop and it was pink. I gave it a couple of coats of cream paint. I also used some gold enamel paint which I painted on and then quickly wiped off to give it a lovely shabby chic aged look.
Now that I've finished all the decorating I just have to 'stage' my French House.
Please keep coming back to check on my progress.
A forgotten item
I forgot to show you this lovely dinner plate I bought from Stokesay Ware at the Autumn Miniatura.
In my last post I told you that I was going to build a Recency inspired dolls house from the Town house concept from Bromley Crafts. Well, once I've finished the hall and parlor room box I would like to start on the dinning room and I have decided on the Jubilee Gold dinner service from Stokesay Ware. I love all of their products and this was a difficult decision to make, but I'm really happy with my choice.
Until the next time